4.16.2012

{i retired}

Before my current job of stay at home mommy/farm bookkeeper I was a teacher. I taught Kindergarten for one year, 3rd grade for two years, and 4th grade for two years.  During my last year of teaching, my little Brodester entered our lives. So, needless to say, after finishing out the year, I decided to take a year off. {My school district is awesome... I applied for a year off, in which they would hold my position and classroom for me, and I would still keep my tenure.}

Well, that "year off" is coming to an end here real soon. It seems crazy that it has almost been a year that I've been out of the classroom, and I miss it. I really do. I miss the camaraderie between my teacher friends. I miss having 30 kids in a room, and being able to help them learn things that they thought were impossible. I miss watching students succeed.  I miss jumping around the front of a classroom acting like a fool, in order to engrain a lesson in kids minds. I miss the humor of 10 year olds. I even miss the silly boy and girl drama that starts to occur in elementary school, it is quite entertaining really. I miss seeing that "lightbulb" go off in kids' eyes, when they finally understand something that was confusing them so much. I miss going on field trips with a bus load {or three} of kids. I miss looking out at a room full of students, smiling back at me. There is something about having your own classroom, and I miss it.

{that's me on the far right}

However, the thought of leaving my little guy everyday was heart wrenching. Even though I love and miss each of the above mentioned things about teaching, I love my little boy, and would miss him, a million times more.

Well, just recently, I headed into the school district offices, and let them know that I wouldn't be returning this coming school year. Then, I headed over to my school to tell all of my teacher friends. It was definitely a bittersweet day.

So, I am "retired" from teaching... for now. So far I keep just as busy {if not busier} keeping the books for the farm, and chasing around my precious babe.


I feel so blessed to be able to stay home full time.


Have a fantastic week everyone.


PS. Get excited... a giveaway is on the horizon!

6 comments:

  1. I'm getting a little bummed out myself- both my husband and I are attending college, {him for his masters in History and me for my BA}. He just landed a job after about a year of unemployment but it's not nearly as much as his previous jobs. So, things are tight. We actually are struggling to make ends meet. So, I am out applying for jobs. I'm scared to actually get a call back- because that would mean I'd have to leave my little man - and just the thought of it hurts my heart. But, it will only be part time, and you have to do what is best for your family sometimes- even if it means being absent for longer than you'd like.

    Here's to loving our little guys with everything we've got!

    xo,
    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on making a decision! for me that was the hardest part...just deciding if I should go back or stay home..knowing my decision was reversible helped...
    good luck!! and have fun!!!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy! I'm a little teary reading this! On one hand I am so thankful that you love teaching so much and you have reminded me over and over why I love it! On the other hand I'm so proud of you taking that courageous step to be with your precious little baby boy! It's not easy to determine what's best in these situations but I can guarantee you won't regret this one! Love you Amos O!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy! I'm a little teary reading this! On one hand I am so thankful that you love teaching so much and you have reminded me over and over why I love it! On the other hand I'm so proud of you taking that courageous step to be with your precious little baby boy! It's not easy to determine what's best in these situations but I can guarantee you won't regret this one! Love you Amos O!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Amy! I'm a little teary reading this! On one hand I am so thankful that you love teaching so much and you have reminded me over and over why I love it! On the other hand I'm so proud of you taking that courageous step to be with your precious little baby boy! It's not easy to determine what's best in these situations but I can guarantee you won't regret this one! Love you Amos O!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy! I'm a little teary reading this! On one hand I am so thankful that you love teaching so much and you have reminded me over and over why I love it! On the other hand I'm so proud of you taking that courageous step to be with your precious little baby boy! It's not easy to determine what's best in these situations but I can guarantee you won't regret this one! Love you Amos O!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...